How to Excel at Digital Value Delivery: The 8 Mindsets
At the turn of the century, mobile technologies changed the game for businesses. In the last decade, we have seen companies race to provide digital touch points to their customers and employees. We have seen them race to capture the true value in digital whether it be increased efficiencies, engagement or return.
But that was the last decade.
The next wave of consumer and employee expectations includes the merging of physical and digital to create one seamless, personalized, convenient, 360-degree experience. We are now seeing a need to merge digital and physical to create seamless, personalized and convenient human experiences. For companies born long before digital technologies, this is a challenge. One that requires innovation and evolution on a scale many find uncomfortable.
Companies must stay ahead of technologies that merge the physical and digital, that remove friction from the lives of the people, that operate in an always on, constant demand environment. These technologies are changing, evolving, getting smarter and enabling more. Businesses must be lean and agile, they must structure themselves to meet the changing consumption habits and expectations of the people they want to connect with.
The largest hurdle to success, to getting ahead of the 360 Experience wave are businesses themselves. Structured in a world where digital didn’t exist, many struggle with transforming themselves to deliver and evolve experiences - both digital and physical. Most organizations struggle to realize value from their digital products. Delivering valuable digital products requires complex coordination and understanding across the entire organization. They struggle with achieving the right mindsets - not just in how they do things but in how they think.
We examined successful organizations and found that organizations that are at an ideal state have eight key mindsets that they share.
The 8 Mindsets:
- Value-Driven: Value-Driven organizations are structured around the delivery of value to customers by empowering individuals across an organization to make business decisions about how best to deliver that value.
- Innovation: The Ideal State Organization has a sustainable method of introducing innovation throughout the product lifecycle.
- Experience: The Ideal State Organization works hard to create user, customer, and organizational experiences that engage and delight individuals from all touch points in the customer journey while maintaining a focused commitment to the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Lean-Agile: Lean thinking provides organizations with the tools they need to scale Agile beyond individual development teams to the entire enterprise.
- Culturally Responsive: An organization in its ideal state is able to identify, leverage, and respond to internal and external cultural influences to maximize value.
- Data-Driven: The Ideal State Organization plans and evaluates its business using appropriate tools to look at carefully curated data. This is accomplished by utilizing data to tell stories with direct and actionable insights.
- Continuous Delivery: The Ideal State Organization recognizes that software becomes valuable once it is delivered. The delivery process is streamlined, releasing frequently and continuously.
- Operational Excellence: The Ideal State Organization has a focus not only on the creation of digital experiences but also on how those experiences are supported, maintained and scaled to meet the needs of its customers.
These mindsets are a collection of best practices and the characteristics of companies that excel at digital value delivery. Successful mindset integration leads to positive organizational characteristics - for example, organizations that properly implement the Continuous Delivery mindset will be able to release new digital solutions often. Concurrently, neglecting a mindset leads to organizational pain points - for example, organizations who have not adopted an Experience Mindset will have low user acceptance for new digital features.
We will explore each of the eight mindsets individually in a series of upcoming blog posts. When combined, companies that display all eight mindsets are what we consider to be companies in their ideal digital state. They embody the Digital Continuum. While these mindsets give you insight into the foundation of the Digital Continuum, we will be releasing something new and exciting this year that will shape how enterprise organizations approach digital.
Learn more and stay in The Digital Continuum loop here.